Thursday, November 29, 2012

The Roller Coaster

Up and down and whipping all around.  Sometimes you want to get back on the ride and other times you want to lose your lunch in a rusty old garbage can.  In the past couple weeks I have ridden the roller coaster of cyclocross.  The first ride was awesome.  The next ride I ended up in that garbage can.  Sometimes you need to know when to say when.  I didn't and paid the price.

I went back to Lembi Park in Folsom for some redemption of sorts.  I had a "rolling snowball" amount of bad luck there last year, ending up on the pavement with a jammed thumb and fair amount of road rash.  This year I wanted a redo.  So I headed up to Sac and lined up against some Berries and my Sac nemesis, Jeff Mitchell.  Jeff is the local and was leading the series.  I promised myself not to go out too fast and sure enough in the first turn I was dead last.

Soon enough I started to weave my way through the traffic and made it near the front.  Lembi is possible the best course in all of Norcal.  I wish more people came up to race it.  It has all the classic cyclocross feature - grass, off camber, road, mud (since it had just rained), run up and even a sand pit, which they put us through twice this year.  This course has lots of elevation and a great local crowd.  There were 4 of us after the first selection with this mountain biker taking massive pulls.  Jeff, Jon the Berry and I just tucked in.  By the 4th lap I knew we had to get rid of this mtb guy so I attacked.  Jon followed and then Jeff.  Mtber, gone.  As I was pulling all the air in Sacramento into my lungs, Jon attacked me.  Oh, I hated him.  I tried to follow, but to no avail.  Jeff went and I got dropped immediately.

So I was in no man's land just finishing up when I noticed the Mtber coming back. What?!  So I was determined not to let him pass me.  By the last lap this outright fear turned to elation as my efforts where pulling Jeff back closer to me.  I caught him after the sand pit, then attacked (like the crit rider I was) on the pavement where I crashed last year.  I held him off and by the end I was gassed.  Jon the Berry had won, but I had really dug deep on this one.

Into the sand pit with Jon M. in pursuit

The roller coaster was on a high that day.  It would all drop the next day as I tried to do the double and race Stafford Lake CX.  I had a feeling that I was not on top form and I should have listened to that feeling.  Murphy Mack set up a course with a few circus obstacles which I was not really pleased with - a 4 foot tall wall and a 4 foot deep pool of water.  Not really my idea of a CX course.  I was just about to pack up and leave when I heard that there was at least a bypass to the water pit.  Ok, I will race.

First half lap I felt good chasing the two more Berries - Brian F. And Gannon M.  But as the first lap came to a close I knew the engine room was losing power.  I should have stopped then, but I didn't.  I just had too much pride.  Well, that pride hurt me more than I thought because after the race the ball of my foot swelled like a softball.  I ended up having to stay off the bike for two weeks, go on prescription meds and lose a lot of fitness.  Point being...if you conscience says don't do something....don't!  And the roller coaster hits rock bottom....


No comments:

Post a Comment