Thursday, November 29, 2012

Coaches Corner - Part 1

Many of you might not know but CX Nation (myself) also offers coaching services.  I am different from a lot of the cycling coaches out there, in that I specifically coach cyclocross racers.  Now this doesn't mean that I have my clients only ride cross bikes.  Mountain bike, road bikes, track bikes and even cafe cruisers all have their place in racing, but I structure programs around cyclocross season, specifically.  Over the years I have seen a trend where more and more racers and just focusing on cyclocross.  This is great for the growth of the sport.  But with our season going from September to January, there are different aspects that a coach and racer need to take into account.  Not to leave you hanging but this post isn't about those "aspects".  I wanted to focus on the riders because I coach some pretty awesome athletes.  So I am writing some blogs on them.....

First up is Fritz Wisor..... When I started my business Fritz was my first client.  He is like that dollar bill that is framed on the wall of all businesses.  He's worth more than a dollar though.  He raced in the Open B's last year and then made the tough jump up to the Master's A's this year.  In the B's he progressively moved up the placings and then in the final BASP at Coyote Point he lost the race by a bike throw.  As a new coach it was my proudest moment.  Here is a little more about Fritz... (Note: I did not change any of the wording in Frtiz's original email.  It's all in his words.)

    1.  What is your bike set up?
                Jamis Supernova- Sram Force, Avid Shirty ultimates and Edge Wheels (Tubulars)

    2.  What category do you ride?
                35+ A's, raced Elite B's last year and decided upgrade

   3.  Highlight of this season....so far...
                Um, it's been a learning process.  No real highlights, but I'm learning
              how fast I need to be able to corner in order to hang on to a group that's
              really jamming.  Accelerations out of corners are just wicked every time.
              No real highlights though as far as results.

  4.  How often do you get out and ride?
             Twice outside, usually once or twice on the trainer or rollers in the garage.

  5.  Is this your first time being coached?  What do you think?
              Yes, it's been great.  I've never really trained before working with Brian
             last year.  My life is such that I don't have a lot of time to spend on
             the bike, and need to make the most of it.  I can stay motivated because I
             love racing, Brian has been able to provide the structure I need to
             optimize my time in the saddle.

  6.  Favorite pre race meal?
             Pasta the night before.  Usually buttermilk pancakes or waffles day of.

  7.  Favorite type of food?
             Burrito me.
  8.  Beer or wine or coffee?
            Coffee.
  9.  Coffee?  How do you take it?
            Short black and strong.

  10. Do you eat the stems of broccoli?
           Heck yeah, peel them, and add some salt or garlic salt, eat them raw.
         Super food.
  11. Favorite cross rider and why?
           Men-Bart Wellens...  He knows how to treat the hecklers that don't follow
         the code.  Pure badass.
         http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=salfFYuinwY
          Women -KfC.  Nobody even close.  She'll get her rainbow one of these days.
        She deserves it.

 12. Favorite course you have ever ridden on and why? 
          Probably Golden Gate Park (RIP).  I like Singletrack oriented races where bobbles cost
        you.

 13. Disc or not?  In the future????
           OK, In my experience cross braking is not just limited to the brakes, it's
     also about traction.  Disks are great for the dry stuff where traction is
     good, but the current mechanical setups don't modulate as well as a set of
     canti's, so the advantages of braking power are lost when it gets sloppy.
     I know a lot of the top American men are running them, but the top Euros
     aren't.  I think that has to do with courses (the euro course tend to be
     sloppier earlier in the season).  I'm running Avid Shorty Ultimates, and
     have really never felt like I am being held back by braking.  Even riding
     single track.
       Also, if you've got one bike, and it's muddy, you're going to blow through
     a set of pads in 60 minutes of racing.  If you've got a pit bike and a
     mechanic to swap pads, you're stoked, but the rest of us should bear that
     in mind.
       My first CXish bike was a converted road bike (Kona Sutra) with BB7's, and
     I'm not ready to make the jump back to them right now...
     But, will I make the change in the future? Yeah probably, but I'll need to
     see a two things before I pay out for a new frame.
         1- reliable hydros.  fully integrated into the STI lever.
         2- longer wear pads for wet conditions.

Frtiz powering over the many bumps at BASP Candlestick 

Cornering on the hardpack...Superpretige Candlestick

No comments:

Post a Comment