Sunday, December 2, 2012

Coaches Corner - Part Deux

That's two for the uninitiated.  As in this is my second blog post about some of my most excellent people that I coach.  Next up....Marin local and major stock broker Brian Urey.  Brian has been with me for almost the entire year.  He has put in tremendous efforts throughout the season.  If lady luck was on his side there would have been some kisses from the podium babes.  Now here's Brian.....


1.  What is your bike set up? – 2012 Specialized Crux disc set up SS w/BEER Components BB30 eccentric.

2.  What category do you ride? Depends on the race and what time the SS cats are scheduled. I am a morning person so I race SS/B in the BASP races and 45+ B in most of the others (CXSR, Stafford, Lion).

3.  Highlight of this season....so far... I guess for me it would be the sprint finish between 3 of us Mill Valley guys at the Sierra Point SSB race. Or maybe the Cesspool of Filth at Stafford Lake

4.  How often do you get out and ride? As often as Coach Brian tells me to! I have a pretty good set-up which allows me to commute home from work several days/week. 15 miles with multiple opportunities to link in more miles, jump off pavement and practice some cross skills, or just spin the legs out.

5.  Is this your first time being coached?  What do you think? Yes, first time I have hired a coach. It’s great having someone getting me off my ass and onto the bike even when I don’t want to go ride. In the past I have always just gone out and ridden, with no structure or specific goals. Brian has dialed in my workouts so I can have a strong cross season and so far I am getting my best results ever. Very happy.

6.  Favorite pre race meal? Blueberry pancakes with a “green” blender drink on the side first thing, and then Coconutz Fuel balls to keep the tank full before the race.

7.  Favorite type of food? Italian, Mexican, Thai, pizza, Fork Catering, it’s all good.

8.  Beer or wine or coffee? IPA, cheap red, and Peets!

9.  Coffee?  How do you take it? Black, in my orange Bike Monkey mug.

10. Do you eat the stems of broccoli? You mean people besides my 10yr old don’t eat the stems of broccoli?

11. Favorite cross rider and why? Brian Staby of course! Seriously though, I guess I would say Scotty Chapin because of his fantastic moustache and the way he rocks the SS against the best of the geared guys.

12. Favorite course you have ever ridden on and why? Golden Gate Park, may it RIP. Love the tacky singletrack and general atmosphere.

13. Disc or not?  In the future????  Disc for 4 years in a row now. Avid BB7 road discs work great.

Making the Rounds at the Santa Rosa Cup

Yellow shoes = Super fast

No comments:

Post a Comment