Sunday, October 16, 2011

Cross Crit Racing

Round 2 of the Sacramento series was the exact opposite of Round 1.  While #1 was a bumpy, rough cow pasture, Round #2 was a smooth, soft stick of butter.  It took place in Henry Renfree park.  The course consisted of Bermuda grass that was without ruts or bumps and hard, fast, flat  single track.  A power course - right up my alley.  We started out with close to 20 of us.  It was fast and furious from the gun.  I have had good starts lately and this was no exception.  I settled in to 2nd wheel and just followed wheels till there was just 4 of us.  Our lead kept growing as the laps went by.  I saw that one of the four was a little weak - sitting at the back, not taking pulls.  Smart guy I guess, but I can't stand that. So I attacked every other lap.  But I couldn't get rid of him, mostly because the others wouldn't keep the pace up.

So we went round and round - lap after lap.  60 minutes of drafting, 60 minutes of crit riding and this was going to come down to the last lap.  As soon as we came to the start/finish for the last lap, the guy who was "punching his ticket on the train" made his move.  I immediately got on his wheel and then I heard music to my ears - a crash behind me.  I guess one of the other 4 had pinched John M, Cal Giant rider, into the barriers and they both went down. I told the guy in front to punch, then my plan started to take form.  I would wait until he had taken us into the final stretch and then I would attack.

I waited and waited, and then I went.  I didn't look back but I knew I had him.  I started to catch the Pro 1,2 group and I was still going fast - way too fast.  Mostly due to adrenaline.  I hadn't won a cross race all last year - not even close.  And now I was going to take two in a row.  But it was not to be.  On literally the 2nd to last turn a lapped rider pulled up next to me and was going to "race" me to the end.  I told him I was the leader and he started to back off, but it was too late.  He had distracted me and I lost the good line into the turn.  I went down in a heap, rolled my tire and lost my chain.  I actually got up and didn't even know what was wrong until some guy yelled that my front tire was coming off.  I didn't have time to get it back on, so I just ran.

You don't have to be a genius to figure out that a person on a bike is faster than a person running with a bike.  In those last 100 meters I went from the penthouse to the outhouse - although I did manage to run to 3rd place.  Ah...those are the breaks.  I have to remember to bring my camera next time too.  Not many photogs are giving up their pictures for free anymore.  I don't blame them.  They need to make money too.  So I have no pictures this time around.  BASP round 1 next weekend.  I should really find out in this race where my fitness is because all the big dawgs will be there.  See you then.....

 

No comments:

Post a Comment