Sunday, October 9, 2011

How about some racing?

I love sharing my passion for cyclocross through clinics, but it was time to actually put some of these skills to use and do some racing.  So I headed up to Seattle for some early season racing and hopefully some rain and mud.  This year I decided to drive up.  I am not sure that was a smart decision.  It's a long way from Santa Rosa to Seattle - 800 miles one way.  Luckily I had my trusted traveling companion Zoey along for the ride.
Zoey likes to sleep a lot

I was headed up to Seattle to race the Starcrossed race, which is part of the "Cross After Dark Series".  This race was on Saturday.  Strangest part about it was I don't think anyone actually raced at night.  It was still light when the last group set out.  I got a pretty bad call up and was starting 5 rows back.  The course is a good one on the shores of Lake Sammamish in Issaquah.  Don't ask me how to pronounce either of those names.  Being on a lake there is quite a bit of sand.   In fact two beach sections were all present and accounted for.  The first one was rideable, the second was totally unrideable.  I battled throughout the day with Slate Olson, head of Rapha North America.  How ironic...no contact with Rapha and then I do a clinic for them and meet the president in a span of 2 weeks.  Quite the competitor.  He got me by 2 places on Saturday.

On Sunday was the Rapha Gran Prix at the same location.  It was weird they didn't change the course up at all.  Same thing as the day before, except a little rain softened up the course.  Belgium nationals Bart Wellens and Rob Peeters used these two races to get some UCI points for Europe.  It was pretty cool that these guys are starting to come over and race in America.  They now know what it is like for the Americans to come over to Europe and try to race.  It isn't easy.

I rode near the Belgium camp to pick up my water bottle at the start line, said hello to one of the mechanics and he said, "I am from Belgium."  Reminded me of Austin Powers.  "Isn't that weird?"  I think that was all he knew of the English language.  It made me laugh. The second day was much like the first.  Started in the back row this time and again battled with Slate.  He got me again so now we have a rematch set for USGP in Bend...if he shows.  He might be a little scared now.   
 The Flyover at Lake Sammamish

No comments:

Post a Comment