Monday, October 10, 2011

Lion of Fairfax

Great course, great people and a great cause. All the proceeds are donated to the school.  I presented this concept to a few school in my area and they all turned me down.  I don't understand it.  Don't schools have a lack of funding, yet they don't want money.  I don't get it.  But White Hill School in Fairfax gets it.  Fast, hard course with a good run up, followed by a quick fast downhill, lots of technical cornering and riding through the halls of the school = lots of places to crash and get seriously hurt.

I wasn't sure how the legs were going to react.  I felt a little slow during warm ups.  I just needed to be in the top 5 at the first corner because it really narrows after that.  Fast start in the Master's 35+ A's race.  I got the hole shot and then slipped back to 2nd by the second turn.  Perfect.  Buy Cell.com Aaron Welcher  took the lead and really started to pour it on.  I dug deep and caught him at the single track.  Not a lot of places to pass in this course, so I had to stay close to him.  I noticed that he was slowing down in the single track sections.  Not sure why, but I kept note of it.  I also noticed that he shouldered his bike up the hill.  I am not a fan of shouldering the bike if you can get away with pushing the bike.  One extra step that you can get ride of.  I was able to seek by him a couple times by pushing my bike up the hill.  Hmmmm....might have to use that later in the race.

We slugged it out the entire race.  On the final lap I passed him on the uphill and never looked back.  I poured it on in the uphill riding section along the street and rolled into the finish line in first place.  At first the officials said I had one more lap, so I started to go again and then they said stop.  Missed my celebration.  It was nice to get my first win in a couple years.  In fact, first win in the Master's A's.  I hope to keep this good form going for the rest of the season.

No comments:

Post a Comment